Now this is taking me back! I celebrated my 18th birthday in Hawaii with my boyfriend at the time, Connor, and his wonderful family (of whom I’m still very close with). It was my first big trip outside of New Zealand and one that I’ll never forget.
I’m reverting to the list format as there’s just too much to cover and I’d be here forever! Hawaii, in my eyes, is the perfect holiday destination. There’s a mix of just about everything and if you can get to the outer islands – even better!
Starting with Waikiki…
- Hanauma Bay – incredible snorkelling, open every day except Tuesdays. Don’t expect colourful coral, but being a conservation area there’s an insane amount of vibrant marine life (cue Finding Nemo), and turtles if you’re lucky!
- Shark cage diving – a dream come true for me. Galapagos Shark’s proved to be fairly passive and not as chompy as expected
- Bubba Gump – restaurants inspired by the 1994 film Forest Gump, what’s not to love? The food is yummy too
- Waikele Outlets – seriously good shopping. It’s a 45 min drive/bus out of town, but worth it. I think I bought something ridiculous like 3 pairs of vans and multiple outfits…
- Ala Moana shopping mall – a doable walk from the main beach. Goodluck not spending your life savings here
- Pearl Harbour – incredibly moving and worthwhile. Look at the water and you can still see oil (otherwise known as “Black Tears”) rising from the USS Arizona
- Duke’s – located in the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort, the Hula Pie is an absolute must
- Kalakaua Ave – the main drag of Waikiki. Great vibe day or night, always buzzing. The shops are open until about 11pm, worth a late night stroll
- Waikiki beach – surfing, paddleboarding, sunbathing – whatever floats your boat
- Molokini – it’s a crescent-shaped, partially submerged volcanic crater and basically like snorkelling inside a giant fishbowl. A M A Z I N G
- Old Lahaina Luau – showcasing traditional Hawaiian music, dance, and food, this is as good as it gets! It’s at nearly full capacity year-round, so booking in advance is essential
- Pipeline, Wailea and Kaanapali Beach – unfortunately, I don’t have photos to do justice, as our weather wasn’t amazing, but they’re beauties even on a bad day
A very small snippet of an unreal two weeks. Flights have halved in price since 2012, so I’ll be back!